UM Shore Regional Health’s Nurse Excellence Awards Ceremony was held on Monday, May 7 at the Todd Performing Arts Center at Chesapeake College. The occasion was the premier event in the celebration of Nurses’ Week 2018, May 6-11.
The 2018 Shore Regional Health Nurse Excellence Award winners are:
Commitment to Others – Gail Dierker, Staff Nurse, Same Day Surgery/PACU/Pre-Anesthesia Testing, Shore Medical Center at Chestertown
- Leadership – Katherine Jones, Orthopedic Team Lead in Surgical Services, Shore Medical Center at Easton
- Mentorship/Advocacy – Madeline Steffens, Program Coordinator for the Shore Regional Health Palliative Care Program
- Professional Nursing – Marcia Shapiro, Staff Nurse, Emergency Department, Shore Medical Center at Easton
- Promising Professional – Brian Clark, Staff Nurse, Emergency Department, Shore Medical Center at Easton
- Unit/Department Award for Empirical Outcomes – Emergency Department, UM Shore Medical Center at Dorchester
Leading the awards ceremony, Ruth Ann Jones, UM Shore Regional Health’s senior vice president of Patient Care Services and chief nursing officer, noted that this year marked the seventh anniversary of the Nurse Excellence Awards and that the 2018 honorees were selected from a total of 36 individual nominations and three unit/department nominations.
“This awards program was established by nurses and for nurses as a way to recognize those who go above and beyond to always deliver exceptional care,” said Jones. “We congratulate all those nominated and also thank their families and other supporters who help make it possible for them to provide the very best evidence-based and patient-centered care.”
Ken Kozel, UM SRH president and CEO, and John Dillon, chairman of the UM SRH Board, also spoke during the ceremony, thanking the outstanding dedication of the 600-plus nurses serving patients in inpatient and outpatient care programs throughout the five county region.