SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 4
- Preparing for Childbirth: Labor and Delivery, UM Shore Medical Center at Easton, Health Education Center, 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Class for expectant parents and birthing partners. Includes a tour of the newly renovated Birthing Center. Register by phone: 410-822-1000, ext. 5200.
- Diabetes Health Fair, Mt. Olive AME Church, 24852 Lamb’s Meadow Road, Worton, Md, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Featuring dietitians from UM Shore Medical Center at Chestertown and fitness/wellness personnel from Kent Athletic Center as well as local providers of natural/organic foods and nutrition products from Seedhouse and Chestertown Natural Foods offering guidance for persons with diabetes or pre-diabetes on dietary, exercise and other lifestyle choices that promote good health. Free lunch and gifts provided. INFO: Chrissy Nelson, 410-768-7668, ext. 2175.
- Caring for Caregivers, Eastern Shore Conservation Center, 114 S. Washington St., Easton, 4 p.m. Tips for keeping organized and coping with the emotional aspects of being a support person of someone experiencing serious illness. Open to family and friends of anyone facing any type of cancer. Sponsored by UM Shore Regional Health and The Chesapeake Multiple Myeloma Network. Info: Patty Plaskon, 410-820-6800, email@example.com
WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 8
- You Can East and Still Lose Weight, UM Shore Medical Center at Chestertown, 1:30 to 2:30 p.m. Would losing weight help you look and feel better? Increase your energy and improve your health? This free seminar, presented by local dietitians Mary King, RD, LD,CDE and Cheyrle Borneman, RD, LD, CDE will offer tips on how to achieve your desired weight without severe dieting. Contact: Mary King, 410-778-3300, ext. 2295.
THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 9
- In the Bag Sale, UM Shore Medical Center at Easton, Health Education Center, 7 am to 4 pm. Handbags, purses, wallets, luggage, computer bags – great selection and great prices! Sale is sponsored by the Easton Auxiliary and proceeds will benefit patient care.
- Food Shopping for Health: Diabetes and Pre-Diabetes, Redner’s Market, 17 Washington Avenue, Chestertown, Md., 1 to 3 p.m. In observance of Diabetes Awareness Month, local dietitian Mary King, RD, LD, CDE will lead this fun, free grocery store tour that teaches how to shop and plan meals for optimal health when managing diabetes or pre-diabetes. Open to the public. RSVP: Mary King, 410-778-3300, ext. 2295, firstname.lastname@example.org.
FRIDAY-SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 10-11
- Veterans Day and Second Saturday Sale, The Robin Hood Shop, 416 High Street, Cambridge, Md. Veterans receive 25 percent OFF the already-low “2nd Saturday” low prices on all items, for example, glassware & china products are 75% off and boutique items and jewelry are also heavily discounted (50% off) — holiday items are the only ones not on sale. Veterans must bring valid Veterans I.D. card to qualify for the additional 25 percent discount for. Also featured: A local hand-crafter who will demonstrate how to make hand-crocheted clothes hangers.
TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 14
- Food Shopping for Health: Diabetes and Pre-Diabetes, Giant Food, 8993 Elliott Road, Easton, Md., 1:30 p.m. In observance of Diabetes Awareness Month, local dietitian and diabetes educator Karen Hollis, RD, CDE will lead this fun, free grocery store tour that teaches how to shop and plan meals for optimal health when managing diabetes or pre-diabetes. Open to the public. RSVP: Karen Hollis, 410-822-1000, ext. 5757, email@example.com.
FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 17
- Diabetes Awareness Open House, UM Center for Diabetes & Endocrinology, UM Shore Medical Center at Easton Freeman Outpatient Center, 1 p.m. to 4 p.m., free. Meet and talk with diabetes care providers, educators and also vendors offering a diabetes care products, and enjoy presentations as follows: at 1 p.m., Cooking for Better Health, by the staff of Eat Sprout; at 2 p.m., Medicare Assistance for Persons with Diabetes, by Pam Limberry from Talbot County’s State Health Insurance Program (SHIP); at 3 p.m., Navigating Pharmacy Plans and Controlling Costs, by Kristan Tallent, Pharm.D., and pharmacy team members from Hill’s Drug Store. Also offered will be information on maintaining your best health with diabetes, preventing diabetes and managing pre-diabetes.
SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 18
- Breastfeeding Your Baby, UM Shore Medical Center at Easton, Nick Rajacich Health Education Center, 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Tips and techniques for breastfeeding and pumping, Free; register by phone: 410-822-1000 or 510-228-5511, ext. 5200.
- Safe Sitter, UM Shore Medical Center at Chestertown, Education Center. 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Teaches youth life and safety skills for when they are home alone, watching younger siblings or babysitting. $45 per person (note: some scholarships are available) and includes a workbook and backpack. Advance registration required: Chrissy Nelson, 410-778-7668, ext. 2175.
- Tax Strategies for 2017, Talbot County Free Library, 100 W Dover Street, Easton, Md., 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. Up-to-date information to help you prepare for your 2017 tax return, Topics include capital gains, charitable donations, net investment, inheritance, and estate & gift taxes, etc. Guest presenters: Fred Hopkins, JD, CFA, of Wilmington Trust; Darian Sump, CPA of Sump Associates, and Deborah Walsworth, CPA, DFP, CPC, of CBIZ, MHM LLC & Mayer Hoffmann McCann, PC. Sponsored by UM Memorial Hospital Foundation. Free, reservation required: Janet Andrews, 410-822-1000, ext. 5792, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Shoot for the Stars Casino Night Fundraiser, Garfield Center, 210 High Street, Chestertown, Md., 7 to 11 p.m. Sponsored by the Chester River Health Foundation to benefit patient care in Kent County.Enjoy a complimentary glass of sparkling wine and $25,000 in chips for casino-style games including Craps, Roulette, Caribbean Stud, Three Card Poker and Blackjack. Prizes offered include a luxurious Williamsburg, Virginia holiday getaway for eight, a long weekend in Washington, D.C., a divine wine basket and more. Sponsorships also available. Entertainment provided by Phil Dutton and the Alligators. $125 per person (includes a $75 tax-deductible donation). Contact: Deb Lauser, 410-810-5661 or email@example.com.
WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 29
- Jewelry and Electronics Sale, UM Shore Medical Center at Easton, Health Education Center, 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sponsored by the Auxiliary of Memorial Hospital at Easton.
NOVEMBER SCREENINGS AND SUPPORT GROUPS
Bridge Clinic Support Group – Every Tuesday, 6-7:30pm, UM Shore Medical Center at Dorchester. Free, confidential support group meeting for individuals who have been hospitalized for behavioral health reasons and could benefit from assistance with issues after discharge. Varied topics based on participants’ needs. Each participant may bring one family member. Info: 410-228-5511, ext. 2140.
Breastfeeding Support Group – Tuesdays, 11/7 and 11/21, 10-11:30am, UM Shore Medical Center at Easton, 5th floor meeting room. Led by lactation consultants for new and expectant mothers. Info: 410-822-1000 or 410-228-5511, ext. 5700.
Survivors Offering Support (SOS) – Free program pairing women who have breast cancer with mentors who are breast cancer survivors. If you need support or would like to become a mentor, call 410-822-1000, ext. 5866.
Breast Cancer Support Group – Tuesday, 11/28, 6-7:30pm, Cancer Center, Easton. Info: 410-822-1000, ext. 5387.
Cancer Support Group/Easton – Thursdays, 11/2 and 11/16, Cancer Center, Easton. Information and support for patients at any stage – diagnosis, treatment, recovery and survivorship. Info: 443-254-5940.
US TOO Prostate Cancer Support Group – Tuesday, 11/14, 6:30pm, Cancer Center, Easton. “Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Prostate Cancer & Erectile Dysfunction” presented by Andrew Riggin, MD, UM Community Medical Group – Urology. Spouses and friends are encouraged to attend. Info: 410-820-6800, ext. 2300.
Cancer Support Group/Chestertown – Monday, 11/20, 7pm, UM Shore Medical Center at Chestertown, Education Center. Information and support for patients at any stage – diagnosis, treatment, recovery and survivorship. Info: 410-778-7668, ext. 2175.
Diabetes Support Group/Easton — Monday, 11/13, 5:30 pm. Talbot County Senior Center –400 Brookletts Ave., Easton. Led by Karen Hollis, RD, CDE. Info: 410-822-1000, ext. 5757.
Diabetes Support Group/Denton – Wednesday, 11/1, 5:00 p.m., St. Luke’s United Methodist Church, 100 S. 5th Avenue, Denton. Led by Doris Allen, CRNP, CDE. Info: 410-822-1000, ext.5757.
Diabetes Support Group/Cambridge – Weds, 11/29, 6:00 p.m., Board Room, UM Shore Medical Center at Dorchester, 300 Byrn Street, Cambridge. Led by Wynn Aroom, RN, CDE. Info: 410-822-1000, ext. 5757.
Diabetes Support Group/Chestertown – Tues, 11/28, 6:30 p.m., Education Center, UM Shore Medical Center at Chestertown, 100 Brown St. Led by Chrissy Nelson, BSN, RN, CDE. Info: 410-778-3300, ext. 2175.
Mid-Shore Stroke Support Group – Thurs, 11/2, 12-2pm, UM Shore Medical Pavilion at Easton, 500 Cadmus Lane, Easton. All stroke survivors and/or caregivers and family members are welcome. Info: Nicole Leonard 410-822-1000 ext. 5068 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Queenstown Stroke Support Group – Tues, 11/28, 12-2pm, UM Shore Pavilion at Queenstown, suite 320. All stroke survivors and/or caregivers and family members are welcome. Info: Nicole Leonard, 410-822-1000, ext. 5068 or email@example.com.