JANUARY CLASSES AND EVENTS
LABOR AND DELIVERY CLASS – Saturday, January 5, UM Shore Medical Center at Easton Health Education Center, 219 S. Washington Street, Easton, 21601. Free class for expectant parents and birthing partners; includes a tour of the Birthing Center. Free; to register, call, 410-822-1000, ext. 5200 and leave a message as instructed.
DIABETES AND YOU – Tuesdays, January 15, 22 and 29, 6-8 p.m., Board Room, UM Shore Medical Center at Dorchester, 300 Byrn Street, Cambridge, Md. A three-session education program to help patients with diabetes learn to manage their condition. Free. To register, call Wynne Aroom, RN, CDE, 410-822-1000, ext. 5286.
BREASTFEEDING CLASS – Saturday, January 19, UM Shore Medical Center at Easton Health Education Center, 219 S. Washington Street, Easton, 21601.Tips and techniques for breastfeeding and pumping, Free; to register, call, 410-822-1000, ext. 5200 and leave a message as instructed.
SAFE SITTER(R) CLASS/CHESTERTOWN – Saturday, January 26, UM Shore Medical Center at Chestertown Education Center, 100 Brown Street, Chestertown, MD 21620. Taught by pediatric nurses, Safe Sitter® provides hands-on practice in safety and injury prevention as well as life-saving techniques to young teens who are home alone, watching younger siblings, or babysitting. Topics include: basic first aid, infant and child choking rescue, Show a child’s age dictates care requirements, how to prevent problem behavior, and how to run a babysitting business. Cost: $45 -some scholarships are available. Advance registration is required. For more information or to register, call Chrissy Nelson, 410-778-7668, ext. 2175.
SCREENINGS AND SUPPORT GROUPS
- Bridge Clinic Support Group – Every Tuesday, 6-7:30pm, UM Shore Medical Center at Dorchester. Free, confidential support group meeting for individuals who have been hospitalized for behavioral health reasons and could benefit from assistance with issues after discharge. Varied topics based on participants’ needs. Each participant may bring one family member. Info: 410-228-5511, ext. 2140.
- Breastfeeding Support Group – Tuesday, 1/15,10 to 11:30 a.m. Birthing Center Conference Room, UM Shore Medical Center at Easton, 219 S. Washington Street, Easton.
- Breast Cancer Support -Survivors Offering Support (SOS) – Free program pairing women who have breast cancer with mentors who are breast cancer survivors. If you need support or would like to become a mentor, call 410-822-1000, ext. 5866.
- Cancer Support Group/Easton – Thursdays, 1/3 and and 1/17, Cancer Center, Easton. Information and support for patients at any stage – diagnosis, treatment, recovery and survivorship. Info: 443-254-5940.
- Cancer Caregivers’ Coffee – Saturday, 1/12, 9-10:30 a.m., Cancer Center, Easton. Discussion of varied issues and challenges facing individuals and families assisting patients with cancer. Contact: Patty Plaskon, 410-820-6800, ext. 5361.
- Cancer Support Group/Chestertown – Monday, 1/28, 7 pm, UM Shore Medical Center at Chestertown, Education Center. Information and support for patients at any stage – diagnosis, treatment, recovery and survivorship. Info: 410-778-7668, ext. 2175.
- Free Blood Pressure Screenings/Easton & Cambridge – Easton: every Tuesday and Wednesday, 9am-12pm, Diagnostic & Imaging Center. Cambridge: every Tuesday & Friday, 11am-1pm, UM SMC at Dorchester, Main Lobby. (Excluding holidays.)
- Diabetes Support Group/Easton —Monday, 1/14, 5:30 p.m., Talbot Senior Center, 400 Brookletts Ave, Easton. Led by Karen Hollis RD, CDE. Please RSVP 410-822-1000, ext. 5188
- Diabetes Support Group/Denton – Wednesday, 1/2, 5 p.m., St. Luke’s United Methodist Church, 100 S. 5th Avenue, Denton. Led by Karen Canter RN, CDE. Contact: 410-822-1000, ext. 5757.
- Diabetes Support Group/ Cambridge – Wednesday, 1/23 , 6 p.m., Board Room, Shore Medical Center at Dorchester, 300 Byrn Street, Cambridge. Led by Wynne Aroom RN, MSN,CDE. Contact: 410-822-1000, ext. 5286.
- Diabetes Support Group/Chestertown – Tuesday, 1/22, 6:30 p.m. Education Center, UM Shore Medical Center at Chestertown, 100 Brown St, Chestertown Led by Chrissy Nelson, BSN, RN, CDE. Contact: 410-778-3300, ext. 2175.
- Mid-Shore Stroke Support Group – Thurs, 1/3, 12-2pm, UM Shore Medical Center at Easton, 219 South Washington Street, Easton, 4th Floor Joint Replacement Center Conference Room. All stroke survivors and/or caregivers and family members are welcome. Info: Nicole Leonard 410-822-1000, ext. 5068 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Queenstown Stroke Support Group – Tues, 1/22,12-2pm, UM Shore Pavilion at Queenstown, Suite 320. . All stroke survivors and/or caregivers and family members are welcome. Please RSVP to Nicole Leonard, 410-822-1000, ext. 5068 or email@example.com