WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 15
- Medical Marijuana: What You Need to Know – 6 to 8 p.m., Cancer Center, Easton. Free presentation provided by Ash & Ember Cannabis of Centreville. Call 410-820-6800, ext. 5361 to register.
THURSDAY, AUGUST 16
- Uniform Sale – 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., UM Shore Medical Center at Dorchester, Main Lobby,
FRIDAY, AUGUST 17
- Blood Drive – 7:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. UM Shore Medical Center at Chestertown
Be Someone’s Hero. Give Blood. Schedule your appointment now by visiting our Donor Portal and enter Sponsor Code: UMCC, or by calling 1 888 8-BLOOD-8 (1-888-825-6638). You can also download the scheduling app on your Android or iPhone. Sponsored by the UM Chester River Health Foundation.
SATURDAY, AUGUST 18
- Parenting Education: New Mom, New Baby – Safety & CPR – Strategies for caring for mom, caring for baby and child safety. 9 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., Health Education Center. Free. To register, call 410-822-1000, ext. 5200.
MONDAY, AUGUST 20
- Look Good, Feel Better – 10am – 12 noon, Cancer Center, Easton. Hair, skin and nail rehab before, during after chemotherapy. Presented by Kim Hardesty, ACS Volunteer Beauty Consultant. RSVP to Teri Dulin, 410-820-6800.
SATURDAY, AUGUST 25
- Parenting Education: Big Brother, Big Sister – Sibling Preparation – 9:30 to 11 a.m., Health Education Center, UM Shore Medical Center at Easton. Designed for children ages 3 to 8. Includes a tour of the Birthing Center plus story time or video. Children should bring a doll or stuffed animal for practice.
- Safe Sitter® Class– Taught by pediatric nurses for ‘tweens and young teens, Safe Sitter provides hands-on practice in safety and injury prevention as well as lifesaving techniques for those who are home alone, watching younger siblings, or babysitting. Includes basic first aid and infant and child choking rescue. Students also receive instruction on how a child’s age dictates care requirements, how to prevent problem behavior, and how to run their own babysitting business. Cost: $45; some scholarships are available. Limited seating, advance registration required. For more information or to register, call Chrissy Nelson, 410-778-7668, ext. 2175
AUGUST SCREENINGS AND SUPPORT GROUPS
- Bridge Clinic Support Group – Every Tuesday, 6-7:30pm, UM Shore Medical Center at Dorchester. Free, confidential support group meeting for individuals who have been hospitalized for behavioral health reasons and could benefit from assistance with issues after discharge. Varied topics based on participants’ needs. Each participant may bring one family member. Info: 410-228-5511, ext. 2140.
- Breastfeeding Support Group – Tuesdays, 8/7 and 8/21, 10 to 11:30 a.m., Health Education Center, UM Shore Medical Center at Easton.
- Breast Cancer Support -Survivors Offering Support (SOS) – Free program pairing women who have breast cancer with mentors who are breast cancer survivors. If you need support or would like to become a mentor, call 410-822-1000, ext. 5866.
- Cancer Support Group/Easton – Thursdays, 8/2 and 8/16, Cancer Center, Easton. Information and support for patients at any stage – diagnosis, treatment, recovery and survivorship. Info: 443-254-5940.
- Cancer Caregivers’ Coffee – Saturday, 8/11, 9-10:20 a.m., Cancer Center, Easton. Discussion of varied issues and challenges facing individuals and families assisting patients with cancer. Contact: Patty Plaskon, 410-820-6800, ext. 5361.
- Cancer Support Group/Chestertown – Monday, 8/27, 7pm, UM Shore Medical Center at Chestertown, Education Center. Information and support for patients at any stage – diagnosis, treatment, recovery and survivorship. Info: 410-778-7668, ext. 2175.
- Free Blood Pressure Screenings/Easton & Cambridge – Easton: every Tuesday and Wednesday, 9am-12pm, Diagnostic & Imaging Center. Cambridge: every Tuesday & Friday, 11am-1pm, UM SMC at Dorchester, Main Lobby. (Excluding holidays.)
- Diabetes Support Group/Denton – NO MEETING IN AUGUST. Next Meeting: Thursday, 9/6, 5:30 p.m., St. Luke’s United Methodist Church, 100 S. 5th Avenue, Denton. Led by Karen Canter RN, CDE. Contact: 410-822-1000, ext.5757.
- Diabetes Support Group/Easton — Monday, 8/13, 5:30pm, Giant Food, 8223 Elliott Road, , Easton. Led by Karen Hollis RD, CDE. Contact: 410-822-1000, ext. 5188.
- Diabetes Support Group/ Cambridge – Wednesday, 8/29, 5:30pm. Board Room, Shore Medical Center at Dorchester, 300 Byrn Street, Cambridge.Contact: 410-822-1000, ext. 5286.
- Diabetes Support Group/Chestertown – NO MEETING IN AUGUST. Next Meeting: Tuesday, 9/25, 6:30pm. Education Center, UM Shore Medical Center at Chestertown, 100 Brown St. Led by Chrissy Nelson, BSN, RN, CDE. Contact: 410-778-3300, ext. 2175.