TJC Quick Tip for Medical Equipment Involved in an Incident
Medical equipment is equipment utilized for patient Diagnostic, Monitoring, or Therapeutic purposes.
Medical equipment failures are reportable incidents.
- When a medical equipment failure occurs Clinical staff sequesters the equipment and all disposables used with it for the said incident.
- Clinical staff contacts the Biomedical Engineering Department to report the details of the incident and location of the medical equipment.
- Clinical staff enters an incident/event report in the incident/event reporting system (RL).
- The Biomedical Engineering Department picks up the equipment and tests it to determine causes or potential causes of failure.
- The Biomedical Engineering Department enters their findings in the corresponding incident/event reporting system (RL).
Reference EC-77 for complete policy and procedure.