Congratulations to the following team members who are CELEBRATE WITH HEART Lottery winners for the month of August! Their names were randomly drawn from among hundreds of UM Shore Regional Health team members who earned kudos and compliments from their managers and/or peers through the CELEBRATE WITH HEART Recognition and Rewards program (http://umshr.isrewards.com).
Monthly lottery winners are notified and receive rewards points: 2500 points for recognition by a peer, 3750 points for recognition by a manager.
August Manager to Team Member Winners:
- Susan Deichert
- Rachel Tilghman
- Carole Mokriski
- Noemi Perez
- Kaitlyn Fabian
- Kathleen Kowalewski
- Megan Lord
- Nancy Hajek
- Brendette Wilkins
- Tracey Watters
August Peer to Peer Winners:
- Joseph Gasser
- L. Kim McGlaughlin
Access to three entrances at UM Shore Medical Center at Easton will soon be restricted to those with an immediate business or patient care need. Restrictions are being imposed effective Monday, October 1, as follows:
Emergency Department’s rear EMS entrance (shown at right). Due to overabundance of unwarranted foot traffic through patient care areas that is proving to be intrusive to patient care and privacy, this entrance is now limited (for both entrance and exit purposes) by EMS, Public Safety, providers with patients in the ED and other specific team members whose roles warrant access for the purpose of timely patient care. Badge access will be limited accordingly.
EVS Entrance (shown at left): The area around hazardous waste dumpsters is designated as an exclusion zone by OSHA. To prevent infectious waste being tracked from the pavement around this area into the hospital, only EVS and Maintenance team members are now authorized to enter or exit the hospital via EVS. Badge access will be limited accordingly. Also, please do not exit the door to the right of this entrance.
Materials Management Entrance (shown at right): For the purposes of employee safety and security, the Materials Management entrance and loading dock are now restricted for entrance and exit only by Materials Management team members and certain designated persons with a business purpose in that area. Badge access will be limited accordingly.
All team members not included in groups with badge access to the above entrances must use either the Employee Entrance (on the north side of the hospital, marked “Employees Only” with large blue awning) or any of the public access entrances (HEC, main lobby entrance, Outpatient Center, or ED front entrance). Under no circumstances should doors be held open or wedged to permit unauthorized use of the restricted entrances.
While changes at this time apply only to the Easton hospital, please know that a broader, system-wide initiative is in progress to ensure that UM Shore Regional Health patients, team members and visitors are assured the highest level of safety and security within our premises. Thank you for your cooperation.
Employee Health Services is gearing up for flu season! UM Shore Regional Health’s Flu Vaccine Policy (HR-70) requires that all employees and volunteers either be vaccinated or submit appropriate documentation for declining as described below. The deadline for compliance with the policy is November 9, 2018, 4 p.m.
GETTING YOUR VACCINE
Employee Health Services will administer the vaccine free of charge to employees and volunteers during the month of October in a series of clinics in UM SRH facilities around the region. The Flu Clinic Schedule (including the hours and locations) will be posted widely and published in Compass beginning September 21, 2018. The clinic rotation schedule includes the following:
A few things to note:
- Please wear short sleeves and bring your UM SRH ID badge.
- If you are pregnant: You will need a note from your OB provider before you can receive the vaccine.
- This is the Regular Dose Vaccine. Egg free vaccine will be available on request.
- If you receive the vaccine elsewhere: Please send proof/documentation with your employee ID # to EHS by November 2, 2018. You may submit it either by email, firstname.lastname@example.org or by fax, 410-822-2555.
PLEASE NOTE: No flu vaccines will be administered in the EHS offices. From October 1 through November 9, 2018, EHS office hours for other purposes will be very limited.
DECLINING THE VACCINE
Under the policy, all employees and volunteers must be vaccinated; declining is allowed for medical or religious reasons.* The deadline for submitting the required documentation is November 2, 2018 at 4 p.m.
If you decline vaccination, you must use the declination form (now available on the intranet accessed under Employee Health Services on this page, http://intra.umms.org/shore/hr/forms, and submit it, along with the required documentation* either by email to email@example.com or by fax, 410-822-2555.
*Declining for medical reasons requires a one-time note from a physician or advance care provider indicating the medical need for declination; however, the declination form must be completed every year.
*Declining for religious reason requires a note from clergy.
EHS SERVICES DURING THE FLU VACCINE CLINICS TIME PERIOD
If you have a need or concern requiring the attention of Employee Health Services during this time period, call 410-822-1000, ext. 5549 and leave a message. Phone messages will be checked periodically each day. You may also email us, firstname.lastname@example.org
- If the matter is URGENT, call ext. 5145 and your message will be relayed to us.
- If you are requesting records, please include your name, date of birth, contact number and what you are requesting. The turnaround time is up to 72 hours.
Thanks for helping to keep our patients, staff and volunteers healthy all year long!
Please join Human Resources in welcoming the following new team members to UM Shore Regional Health:
- Ashley Cornish, Access Representative, Community Wide Access
- Tomeco Fletcher, Unit Secretary/Patient Care Tech, Birthing Center, UM SMC at Easton
- Stuart Hensley, Staff Nurse, Emergency Department, UM SMC at Easton
- Brittany Lockwood, Staff Nurse, Telemetry, UM SMC at Easton
- Haley McHenry, Unit Secretary/Patient Care Tech, Emergency Department, UM SMC at Easton
- Hana Morrison, Radiation Therapist, Cancer Center/UM SMC at Easton
- Brenda Muir, Addictions Counselor, Substance Use Disorders, UM SMC at Easton
- Danielle Trice, Staff Nurse, Multi Specialty Care, UM SMC at Easton
Thanks to all team members at the three hospitals who turned out — despite for the newspaper photographs taken for a wrap-up story on the Mid Shore Goes Purple. The story and photos are expected to appear either Sunday, September 23 or early in the week.
Thanks for all team members at the three hospitals who turned out — despite for the newspaper photographs taken for a wrap-up story on the Mid Shore Goes Purple. The story and photos are expected to appear either Sunday, September 23 or early in the week.
Meanwhile, more photos came in this week – if your unit or department has any “purple” photos, please send to Kate Gallagher, email@example.com..
Saturday, September 22
- Safe Sitter® Class– 9:30 am – 3:30 pm, UM Shore Medical Center at Chestertown. Taught by pediatric nurses for ‘tweens and young teens, Safe Sitter provides hands-on practice in safety and injury prevention as well as life-saving techniques for those who are home alone, watching younger siblings, or babysitting. Includes basic first aid and infant and child choking rescue. Students also receive instruction on how a child’s age dictates care requirements, how to prevent problem behavior, and how to run their own babysitting business. Cost: $45; some scholarships are available. Limited seating, advance registration required. For more information or to register, call Chrissy Nelson, 410-778-7668, ext. 2175.
- Breastfeeding Your Baby, 9 a.m. to 12:15 pm, UM Shore Medical Center at Easton, Health Education Center. Tips and techniques for breastfeeding and pumping. Free; register by phone,: 410-822-1000, ext. 5200.
- Prostate Cancer Screening, Dinner and Forum – 5:30 p.m., Mt. Olive AME Church,, 24852 Lambs Meadow Road, Worton . To register, call Andrea Edwards, RN, 410-778-7970.
- Bridge Clinic Support Group – Every Tuesday, 6-7:30pm, UM Shore Medical Center at Dorchester. Free, confidential support group meeting for individuals who have been hospitalized for behavioral health reasons and could benefit from assistance with issues after discharge. Varied topics based on participants’ needs. Each participant may bring one family member. Info: 410-228-5511, ext. 2140.
- Breastfeeding Support Group – Tuesday, 9/18, 10 to 11:30 a.m., Health Education Center, UM Shore Medical Center at Easton.
- Breast Cancer Support -Survivors Offering Support (SOS) – Free program pairing women who have breast cancer with mentors who are breast cancer survivors. If you need support or would like to become a mentor, call 410-822-1000, ext. 5866.
- Cancer Support Group/Easton – Thursdays, 9/6 and 9/20, Cancer Center, Easton. Information and support for patients at any stage – diagnosis, treatment, recovery and survivorship. Info: 443-254-5940.
- Cancer Caregivers’ Coffee – Saturday, 9/8, 9-10:20 a.m., Cancer Center, Easton. Discussion of varied issues and challenges facing individuals and families assisting patients with cancer. Contact: Patty Plaskon, 410-820-6800, ext. 5361.
- Cancer Support Group/Chestertown – Monday, 9/24, 7pm, UM Shore Medical Center at Chestertown, Education Center. Information and support for patients at any stage – diagnosis, treatment, recovery and survivorship. Info: 410-778-7668, ext. 2175.
- Free Blood Pressure Screenings/Easton & Cambridge – Easton: every Tuesday and Wednesday, 9am-12pm, Diagnostic & Imaging Center. Cambridge: every Tuesday & Friday, 11am-1pm, UM SMC at Dorchester, Main Lobby. (Excluding holidays.)
- Diabetes Support Group/Denton – Thursday, 9/6, 5:30 p.m., St. Luke’s United Methodist Church, 100 S. 5th Avenue, Denton. Led by Karen Canter RN, CDE. Contact: 410-822-1000, ext.5757.
- Diabetes Support Group/Easton — Monday, 9/10, 5:30pm, Talbot Senior Center, Brookletts Place, Easton. Contact: 410-822-1000, ext. 5757.
- Diabetes Support Group/ Cambridge – Wednesday, 9/26, 5:30pm. Board Room, Shore Medical Center at Dorchester, 300 Byrn Street, Cambridge.Contact: 410-822-1000, ext. 5757.
- Diabetes Support Group/Chestertown – Tuesday, 9/25, 6:30pm. Education Center, UM Shore Medical Center at Chestertown, 100 Brown St. Led by Chrissy Nelson, BSN, RN, CDE. Contact: 410-778-3300, ext. 2175.
- Mid-Shore Stroke Support Group – Thursday, 9/6 12-2pm, September meeting cancelled. Info: Nicole Leonard 410-822-1000, ext. 5068 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Queenstown Stroke Support Group – Tuesday, 9/25/18, 12-2pm, UM Shore Pavilion at Queenstown, suite 320. Diane Lorsong, Speech Language Pathologist “Speech and Language Issues after Stroke.” All stroke survivors and/or caregivers and family members are welcome. Info: Nicole Leonard, 410-822-1000, ext. 5068 or email@example.com
The items below were posted on our UM Shore Regional Health Facebook page this week. If you are on Facebook, please help us increase awareness of the page as a resource for updates and information about UM SRH by visiting to LIKE and SHARE the posts of your choice.
Your participation really helps spread the word about the good work done by great team members at UM Shore Regional Health!
- Free Prostate Cancer Screening in Worton, Monday September 24
- Phone Charging Stations Installed Throughout UM SRH
- Talbot Spy: Women and Girls Fund’s Purple Grants in Action: Mid-Shore Restoring H.O.P.E. in Women