All UM SRH team member are encouraged to go Purple (by wearing purple) on Fridays during the month of September! Shown above is one of last year’s “purple people” groups in front of UM SMC at Easton.
The five counties served by UM Shore Regional Health will be “going purple” for the month of September to support awareness and education regarding the epidemic of drug use, addiction and overdose that is affecting individuals and families throughout the region. UM Shore Regional Health team members are encouraged to WEAR PURPLE on Fridays throughout September and to take team purple pictures for inclusion in Compass.
You might also consider attending some of the many events planned around the region throughout the month-long observance, as follows:
Going Purple Kick Off Events
CAROLINE — Friday, August 31, Fed Up Rally, 6 p.m., Denton Elementary School, Sharp Road, Denton
DORCHESTER — Friday, August 31, 7:30 pm, Sailwinds Amphitheater, Visitor Center, 2 Rose Hill Place, Cambridge
TALBOT — Wednesday, September 5, 7:30 pm, Talbot County Courthouse followed by “Walk of Solidarity” around the block in front of the Courthouse, sponsored by Recovery for Shore and Mariah’s Mission
KENT — Friday, September 7, 7:30, Kent County Courthouse, Chestertown
QUEEN ANNE’S — Thursday, September 6, 7:30 p.m., Kent Island Volunteer Fire Department, 1610 Main St, Chester
Other events scheduled for the month long campaign are as follows:
- Sept. 9 – Dorchester Goes Purple Tailgate to Celebrate Recovery, 12 to 4 p.m. Portside Seafood Restaurant
- Sept. 15 – Talbot Goes Purple / Purple in the Park: Tilghman Island, 1 to 4 p.m. Kronsberg Park
- Sept. 22 — Caroline Goes Purple / Greensboro Goes Purple, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Ober Park Playground
‘If Only’ – Film Screenings
Presented by The Mark Wahlberg Youth Foundation and Millennium Health, If Only is a short film intended for teens, parents and adults to raise awareness about the dangers of prescription drug misuse and abuse and to start a conversation that encourages the safe use, storage and disposal of prescription drugs to keep them out of the hands of kids.
- Sept. 24, 6:30 p.m. at North Caroline High School (Free ice cream social after)
- Sept. 25, 6:30 p.m. Easton High School (Resource Fair at 5:30)
- Sept. 26, 6:30 p.m. St. Michaels Middle High School (Resource Fair at 5:30)
- Sept. 27, 6:30 p.m. Colonel Richardson High School (Free ice cream social after)
Purple Sport Events
- Sept. 5 – Talbot Goes Purple, 4 p.m., JV, and 5 p.m.,Varsity soccer at EHS. Kids in purple get in free!
- Sept. 14 – Kent Goes Purple, Time, TBD, KCHS, Varsity Football Pre-game Rally and Half-time Show
- Sept. 20 – Talbot Goes Purple, SMMHS Golf, TIME TBD
- Sept. 26 – Talbot Goes Purple, SMMHS Soccer, TIME TBD
You can purchase purple lights as follows:
- Online at https://www.talbotgoespurple.org/ AND QACGoesPurple.org
- E.D Supply – Easton, Cambridge
- The Lumberyard, St. Michaels
- JBK Hardware, Chestertown
- Price and Gannon Ace Hardware Store, Centreville
- Kent Island True Value Hardware Store, Chester
- Caroline County Courthouse, Denton