Barbara Hendricks has been named director, Human Resources for Shore Regional Health. Hendricks has been with SRH in an interim role since April 2018; in the year before, she had served as a consultant in human resource interim roles at various health care facilities.
From 2010 to 2017, Hendricks served as vice president, Human Resources at Nanticoke Health in Seaford, Delaware, and prior to that served four years as director, Human Resources at St. Mary’s Hospital in Leonardtown, Maryland for four years.
Please welcome Hendricks to the SRH family and support her as she helps SRH achieve our Vision of Being the Region’s Leader in Patient-Centered Health Care.
University of Maryland Community Medical Group (UM CMG), recently welcomed audiologist Olivia A. Doller, Au.D. Dr. Doller’s specialties include adult and pediatric hearing evaluations, hearing rehabilitation, audiologic testing and adult hearing aid fittings.
Dr. Doller received her B.S. in communication disorders from the University of Mississippi. She then earned her Doctorate of Audiology from Salus University, George S. Osborne College of Audiology in Pennsylvania and completed her residency at Foothills ENT, Allergy and Hearing Center in Tennessee.
“We are very excited to have Dr. Doller join UM Community Medical Group. Her skills as an audiologist are a wonderful addition to our ENT (ear, nose and throat) physician practice of Drs. Effron, Porter and Schneider,” comments William Huffner, MD, chief medical officer and senior vice president, Medical Affairs at UM Shore Regional Health. “She will be a great asset to both the practice and our patients here on the Shore.”
Dr. Doller is seeing patients at 490 Cadmus Lane, Suite 101 in Easton and 4 Aurora Street in Cambridge. Patients may make an appointment with Dr. Doller by calling 410-820-9119.
Please join Human Resources in welcoming the following new team members to the UM Shore Regional Health community:
- Brooke Contee, Collegiate Nurse, Shore Medical Center at Easton
- Danielle Cornish, Access Representative, Admissions/Registration, UM Shore Regional Health
- Vivian Cornish, Telecommunication Attendant, Admissions/Registration, UM Shore Regional Health
- Ashley Dennis, Nursing Tech, Emergency Department, UM Shore Medical Center at Dorchester
- Kimberly Gerlock, Access Representative, Community Wide Access, UM Shore Regional Health
- Theresa Hahn, Staff Nurse, Computed Tomography, UM Shore Medical Center at Easton
- Barbara Hendricks, Director, Human Resources, UM Shore Regional Health
- David Hopkins, Staff Pharmacist, Pharmacy Services, UM Shore Medical Center at Easton
- Roger Laurence, Medical Technologist, Laboratory Services, UM Shore Medical Center at Easton
- Ellyn Mcqueen, Staff Nurse, Interventional Diagnostics and Imaging, UM Shore Medical Center at Easton
- Rachel Miller, Staff Nurse, UM Shore Medical Center at Easton
- Jennifer Mingos, Medical Technologist, Laboratory Services, UM Shore Medical Center at Chestertown
- Latoya Pinkett, Nursing Tech, Multi Specialty Care, UM Shore Medical Center at Easton
- Lauren Trice, Staff Nurse, Multi Specialty Care, UM Shore Medical Center at Easton
- Tyshera Watson, Food Service Associate, UM Shore Medical Center at Easton
The Lung Cancer Screening Program was inaugurated on July 11, 2017. Three patients were seen that first day, and in a year’s time, 211 patients have been screened. Of those, one patient was diagnosed with Adenocarcinoma, and total of 44 were recommended for some kind of follow-up (low dose CT scan, CT with contrast, or Pet scan.)
According to oncology nurse practitioner Michele Williams, who coordinates the Lung Cancer Screening Program under the direction of pulmonologist Greg Oliver, MD, the program is experiencing a steady increase in demand as word has spread. “We have been seeing patients on Tuesdays will be opening up Thursdays for screenings in Easton,” she explains. “We also are excited to begin the screening program in Chestertown — starting July 18, we will be seeing patients there two Wednesdays each month.”
Getting the program off to such a strong start required extensive outreach to the regional physician and advance practice provider community as well as to other referral sources and the public at large. Williams visited several primary care practices in Caroline, Dorchester, Kent, Queen Anne’s and Talbot counties, and conducted presentations at large group meetings such as UM SRH Management Forum, the UM SRH Nursing Research Council, and a health care conference at Chesapeake College. She also engaged local health department representatives, conducted to “Ask the Expert” presentations open to interested community members, and participated in outreach to local news outlets as well as social media.
“Medical professionals and other referral sources throughout the five county region recognize that the Lung Cancer Screening Program can save lives,” says Williams. It’s very gratifying to help former and current smokers take this important step to protect their health.”
Amtrac Railroad Contractors of Md., Inc., will be conducting work on the Seaford Line in Dorchester County over the next month. The work will require several roads to be closed to traffic temporarily at the site of the tracks for each location.
Please take note of the closures below and expect detours around the crossings in place for the dates listed. This work is subject to weather, and DES will make every attempt to update the information in a timely fashion.
Schedule of closures:
- Aireys Road: July 12-14, 2018
- Beaver Neck Village Road: July 18-20, 2018
- Palmers Mill Road: July 21-23, 2018
- Shiloh Camp Road: July 24-26
- Red Hill Road: July 30 to August 1, 2018
- Linkwood Road: August 1-3, 2018
The Auxiliary of Chester River Health Center’s Nearly New Shop was issued its retail sales license on August 5, 1958. In celebration of its 60 years of operation raising funds to support patient care at UM Shore Medical Center at Chestertown, the shop will hold its semi-annual clearance sale featuring discounts on all merchandise (except jewelry and tuxedos) as follows:
- Monday-Wednesday, July 30 – August 1 – Everything 1/2 price
- Thursday-Saturday, August 2 – 4 – The ever-popular Fill-A-Bag for $5 Sale. (You don’t even have to bring a bag – ACME bags are dispensed to all shoppers.)
- Also on August 4, birthday cake will be served!
“We want to thank all our donors and dedicated shoppers who have helped us raise much-needed funds over the years that have provided support for new medical equipment and supplies, facilities improvements, staff education and advancement, and so many other aspects of patient care,” says Molly Streit, Nearly New Shop manager.
“This is also a good time to give a gift certificate to the Shop, and we have them available at the cash register,” Streit adds.
Located at 320 High Street in Chestertown, the Nearly New Shop offers gently used adult clothing and accessories in addition to hand bags, shoes, scarves, belts, jewelry, small household items and décor. Electronics and books are not accepted. The shop currently has openings for volunteer assistants. who can offer six hours or more per month.
For additional information about the Nearly New Shop and donations, Streit at 410-778-1781 or email her, firstname.lastname@example.org.
SATURDAY, JULY 14
- Caregiver’s Coffee – 9 to 10:30 a.m., Cancer Center, Easton. Open to family members, friends and others providing care and support for a patient dealing with a cancer diagnosis, treatment and recovery. Topics of discussion include financial concerns, community resources, stress management, self-care and much more. RSVP: Patty Plaskon, 410-820-6800, ext. 5361.
- Robin Hood Shop Summer Blowout Sale, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., 416 High Street, Cambridge. ALL Shirts (men’s, women’s, including uniform shirts & kids’) will be 25 cents. PLUS, plenty of other clothing and household items to choose from.
FRIDAY, JULY 20
- Prosthesis Clinic for Breast Cancer Patients – 11 am to 4 pm, Clarke Comprehensive Breast Center Contact: Elisa Lawson (410) 822-1000 ext 7156
WEDNESDAY AND THURSDAY, JULY 25-26
- Special Vendor Sale: Collective Goods (formerly Books are Fun) – 8 am to 4 pm, UM Shore Medical Center at Dorchester Lobby.
SATURDAY, JULY 21
- Breastfeeding Your Baby, 9 a.m. to 12:15 pm, UM Shore Medical Center at Easton, Health Education Center. Tips and techniques for breastfeeding and pumping. Free; register by phone: 410-822-1000, ext. 5200.
FRIDAY, JULY 27
- Safe Sitter Class/Chestertown, 9am to 4pm, UM SMC at Chestertown. Taught by pediatric nurses, the Safe Sitter program teaches youth ages 11-13 the basics of babysitting, including first aid, CPR and more. The cost is $45 (scholarships available). Due to limited seating, advance registration is required. Registration: Chrissy Nelson, 410-778-7668, ext. 2175
SATURDAY, JULY 28
- For Women: Sex During and After Cancer – 10:30 a.m. to 12 pm, Cancer Center. Changes in women’s sex life related to cancer treatment presented by Chanelle Lake, BSN, OCN and Patty Plaskon, PhD, OSW-C
TUESDAY, JULY 31
- UM Medical Campus at Cambridge: Our Vision for the Future – 6:30-8:30 p.m., Cambridge-South Dorchester High School, 2475 Cambridge Beltway, Cambridge, MD, 21613. Join us for a public information meeting to learn how health care in Dorchester County will be transformed by a new, modern destination health care campus to meet the community’s needs.
JULY SCREENINGS AND SUPPORT GROUPS
- Bridge Clinic Support Group – Every Tuesday, 6-7:30pm, UM Shore Medical Center at Dorchester. Free, confidential support group meeting for individuals who have been hospitalized for behavioral health reasons and could benefit from assistance with issues after discharge. Varied topics based on participants’ needs. Each participant may bring one family member. Info: 410-228-5511, ext. 2140.
- Breastfeeding Support Group – Tuesdays, 7/17, 10 to 11:30 a.m., Birthing Center, UM Shore Medical Center at Easton.
- Breast Cancer Support – Survivors Offering Support (SOS) – Free program pairing women who have breast cancer with mentors who are breast cancer survivors. If you need support or would like to become a mentor, call 410-822-1000, ext. 5866.
- Cancer Support Group/Easton – Thursdays, 7/19, Cancer Center, Easton. Information and support for patients at any stage – diagnosis, treatment, recovery and survivorship. Info: 443-254-5940.
- Cancer Caregivers’ Coffee – Saturday, 7/14, 9-10:30 a.m., Cancer Center, Easton. Discussion of varied issues and challenges facing individuals and families assisting patients with cancer. Contact: Patty Plaskon, 410-820-6800, ext. 5361.
- Cancer Support Group/Chestertown – Monday, 7/23, 7pm, UM Shore Medical Center at Chestertown, Education Center. Information and support for patients at any stage – diagnosis, treatment, recovery and survivorship. Info: 410-778-7668, ext. 2175.
- Free Blood Pressure Screenings/Easton & Cambridge – Easton: every Tuesday and Wednesday, 9am-12pm, Diagnostic & Imaging Center. Cambridge: every Tuesday & Friday, 11am-1pm, UM SMC at Dorchester, Main Lobby. (Excluding holidays.)
- Diabetes Support Group/ Cambridge – Wednesday, 7/25, 5:30pm. Board Room, Shore Medical Center at Dorchester, 300 Byrn Street, Cambridge. Contact: 410-822-1000, ext. 5286.
- Diabetes Support Group/Chestertown – Tuesday, 7/31, 6:30pm., Education Center, UM Shore Medical Center at Chestertown, 100 Brown St. Led by Chrissy Nelson, BSN, RN, CDE. Contact: 410-778-3300, ext. 2175.